The Benefits of Manuka Honey for my Dog?
Whilst for some aliments there is no substitution for professional veterinary care it’s good to know what alternatives are available for minor ills and how they can help our best friends. Whilst most types of raw honey have curative properties Manuka Honey is the best by far.
What is Manuka Honey?
This wonderful natural product is what is know as a “monoflora” honey. This means that it is produced solely from the nectar of the Manuka Tree which is found naturally in New Zealand and Australia. However, there are now global projects to cultivate these trees to increase Manuka Honey production. As the global demand for this products grows there is concern about adulterated or even counterfeit honey being sold, to combat this a testing and grading system has been in place for a number of years. Without wanting to bore you with too much detail the tests look at Methylglyoxal (the antibacterial element), Dihydroxyacetone (the age of the honey), and Leptosperin (the indicator of genuine Manuka). A score is then applied prior to sale, the higher the score the better the honey but be careful, different manufactures may use slightly different scoring systems so do your home work.
Manuka Honey Blossom
What are the benefits of Manuka Honey for my Dog?
Manuka Honey is known to have many healing properties which include:
- Help to heal wounds. It can be applied directly to open wounds and left or bandaged over and left to do its’s work. It’s the Methylglyoxal in the honey that has antibacterial properties and help keep infection at bay.
- Reduces skin irritations. Skin disease can be a bacterial or a yeast problem and Manuka Honey can help fight both.
- Prebiotic Support for a healthy gut. Manuka honey can help maintain the good bacteria in your best friend’s gut so a teaspoon full a day can help keep the vet away.
- Help with the autoimmune system to combat viral infections such as kennel cough, now the most common infection in the UK
- Oral health. Don’t give too much as the sugars in the honey can be harmful when they turn to plaque. Given daily along with a regular oral hygiene regime can work wonders for “dog breath”
We always keep Manuka Honey in our doggy first aid kit and use it on a regular basis to help keep our best friends in tip top condition.
My Best Friend Dog Care Services
At My Best Friend we offer a range of dog care services including Dog Walking, Doggy Day Care, Home Boarding, Pet Sitting and Puppy Care. We work hard to provide a caring, convenient and professional service to your best friend and we take pride in treating your dog as if they were our own.